01 February 2008

I don't care if you're gay... (September '06)

I was just reading this mini-biography of dUg Pinnick.

In the bio, the author mentions that dUg "came out" in an interview with a "Christian" e-zine a few years back. The article goes on to talk about how a significant number of his fans were upset by this revelation, and the fact that many of them turned their backs on his band (King's X--a band claimed by many to be a "Christian" band, despite the fact that the band has eschewed the label many times.) King's X albums were pulled from Christian book & music stores, and a large group of people generally made hateful asses of themselves in the name of Christ.

I bring this up to make a couple of points.

First of all, if you claim that you adhere to a system of belief, it helps to actually exercise some of the beliefs contained within the system. Many mainstream Christians talk passionately about "loving the sinner, but hating the sin." Okay, fine. The problem is that I see FAR more evidence of hating the sin than I have ever seen of loving the sinner. In fact, the best case scenarios that I have seen involve parading a group of drug addicts, or single moms, or gay people out in front of the church one day a year to make a big spectacle of how "loving" the church is. Of course, it's be a cold day in hell before any of these church people hung out with one of these "sinners" on a weekday or in a social setting, but the dog & pony show lets them go home and feel better about themselves that night.

What I'm getting at is that Christianity as explained in the Bible is about loving God and loving people. If your faith is your motivation for treating people like crap, then your faith isn't Christianity. Also, you suck.

This whole tirade leads me to another point.

I don't care who you have sex with. I don't care who you want to have sex with. I don't even care about the embarrassing little ideas you may have had one or twice about having sex with _______.

This does not mean that I am a tolerant and accepting person.

What it means is that I do not care.

I don't want to hear about it. I don't want to think about it. I don't want to know what you think about it.

If you constantly make a public issue out of the fact that you are gay, or straight and generally promiscuous, or a necrophiliac, or whatever, don't expect me to be your friend. Don't even expect me to be nice to you.

Why?

Because you are the kind of obnoxious prick who defines yourself by your sexual predilections. You know the guy at the bar who is always walking around with his shirt open to the navel and talking about the "tail" he "pulled" the other night? The guy who thinks he's God's gift to ladies? The one that everybody thinks is an overbearing, deluded, obnoxious piece of human detritus? The one who talks about every attractive lass he sees in explicit sexual terms? That's you. I don't care if you're talking about women, men, both, or other. I don't care. I don't want to hear about it, and the odds are really good that nobody else does, either.

What defines you as a person is an amalgam of personality traits and individual experience. What you say, how you act, and how you react all combine to express who you are as a whole. It's a complex and multi-dimensional algorithm of individuality.

If your entire public persona is wrapped up in one, theoretically private aspect of your life, that just defines you as a sad, boring little person.

You might hate me for the things I say, but you can never say you don't know where I stand... :) Bring on the flame, one and all...

No comments: