01 February 2008

Every question doesn't need an answer (January '07)

This is sort of a tangent from my last blog, but I thought I'd make it a separate thought so as not to detract from the bigger point.

I rant a bit in my blogs.

I ask rhetorical questions and complain about different sorts of people from the actively incompetent to the passively clueless.

These blogs are intended to vent, to provoke thought, and at times to entertain.

They are most certainly not meant as a way to seek counsel.

I say this because as I look at the comments attached to my blogs, I see far too many comments indicating that either someone missed the joke, or someone feels the need to answer a question nobody asked.

I could be writing about how a terrible driver cut me off, and elaborating upon my wish to sterilize them so that they cannot spread their corrupt seed upon the earth, and inevitably some well-intentioned prat will comment with an explanation.

"Maybe they were just in a hurry. That happens to me sometimes."

"You know, some people can't see too well out of those side-view mirrors."

Or worse yet, they'll take my joking solution as a serious hypothesis and offer a critique.

"You know, there were some great people with terrible parents. If you sterilize the bad drivers, how many great people won't be born?"

"Isn't sterilization almost like preemptive abortion?"

"I think that sterilization is too harsh. I think maybe a ticket or a fine is more appropriate!"

Well, no kidding...

Look, when I rant, I'm not posing great questions that keep me up at night. I'm not asking for advice or agonizing over a way to reach out to my fellow man. I'm complaining, and I'm trying to do so in a way that might entertain you a bit in the process. I'm trying to carry on the tradition of Jonathan Swift and Joe Queenan, or at least the angry old guy down at the local bar.

If you feel moved to defend the targets of my rant, just do so in your head. You'll save me a lot of time trying to explain the joke.

Actually, now that I think about it, maybe you should go ahead and post that response. I'm always looking for targets for future rants.

No comments: